Which principles, theories and models do you know that help to explain how Agile works, and why it works? Which one would you add to this list?
This below is a list of few principles, theories and models relevant to Agile, how it works, and why it works.
The less known include the names of the authors.
The list is ordered by date.
Which other principles, theories and models would you add to the list?
- End of the 18th century: Gordian knot (a metaphor and an early reference to intractable problems)
- 1967-1970: The Wicked Problem definition from C. West Churchman, Rittel and Webber
- 1948-1975: Toyota Production System (TPS) from Sakichi Toyoda, Kiichiro Toyoda, Taiichi Ohno and Eiji Toyoda
- 1977: A Pattern Language: Towns, Buildings, Construction from Christopher Alexander
- 1985: Evolutionary Delivery Model (Evo) from Tom Gilb
- 1986: A Spiral model of software development and enhancement from Barry Boehm
- 1986: PDCA Cycle from Deming/Shewart
- 1986: The New New Product Development Game from Ikujiro Nonaka and Hirotaka Takeushi
- 1985-1987: VUCA world definition from Warren Bennis and Burt Nanus
- 1991: Rapid Application Development (RAD) from James Martin
- 1991-1996: Complexity Science and human Complex Adaptive Systems applied to Management theory from Ralph Douglas Stacey
- 1991-2004: Crystal Clear from Alistair Cockburn, with 7 properties
- 1995: OODA loop cycle from John Richard Boyd
- 1995: Scrum: the 3 pillars (later supplemented with 5 values)
- 1995: DSDM/Atern 8 principles (originally 9)
- 1996: Ralph Douglas Stacey’s diagram
- 1996-1999: Extreme Programming with 4 values and 5 principles (later developed into 5 and 13 respectively)
- 1999: Cynefin framework from David Snowden
- 2001: Manifesto for Agile Software Development: the 4 values and 12 principles
- 2001: Network Centric Warfare, 4 Tenets
- 2003: Lean Software Development with 7 principles and 22 tools
- 2003-2013: Agility definition with 6 characteristics and 3 variables from David S. Alberts
- 2003-2013: Manoeuvre Agility from David S. Alberts
- 2003-2013: NATO NEC C2 approaches space from David S. Alberts et al
- 2005: Project Management Declaration of Interdependence, 6 principles
- 2005-2010: Kanban Method with 3+2 principles and six core practices
- 2010: Radical Management from Steve Denning, 7 Basic Principles
- 2011-2016: Beyond Budgeting, 12 Principles
- 2011-2016: Agile Marketing Manifesto, 5 values and 10 principles
- 2012-2019: The three Pillars of Agile (link)
- 2014: The Heart of Agile, from Alistair Cockburn
- 2016-2018: Kent Beck’s 3x
- 20??: Agile HR Manifesto, 6 values and 6 principles
Boost your Agile to a whole new level of mastery.
See how we can help.
You, your team, your organisation.